I'm feeling a little angry and sad today.
My first contact with the outside world was a message from one of my closest pals at 7am, who told me the baby she was expecting was not gonna happen.
After a visit to the Fetal Medicine Specialist,she learned her twelve-and-a-half-week fetus had something called Fetal Cystic-Hygroma. Water was encapsulating her baby's entire body and brain.
Her doctor basically said it's a black and white situation.
It's really bad.
It's not a mistake.
It isn't going to get better.
The fetus will not survive in utero.
Let's just say that this information, coupled with the research I've done on this birth defect today has sent me diving under the covers several times, despite the clear blue skies and warm weather in Los Angeles.
I'm so sad for my friend, who was looking forward to being a mom for a second time, and who thought she would soon enjoy the life of having a toddler and an infant at the same time.
If there is any good news here, it's that it was caught relatively early. She's still in her first trimester, albeit at the tail-end. This doesn't make her decision to terminate any easier, but at least she has the choice.
It comes down to this: does she want to risk her own health to wait for the baby's heart to stop beating and then have a riskier procedure later on? The baby could survive up to 7 months, the doctor said. She and her husband decided that was not in their best interest, so they've scheduled a procedure for next week.
But here's the crazy part: The procedure will cost close to $2K. Insurance will not cover it unless the fetus has already died.
Does this seem problematic to anyone else? It's clear the fetus will not survive and it is in the best interest of the mother to have the procedure, and yet, the insurance company doesn't see it as a necessary, and won't cover it. This is the kind of thing that makes me want to run to Canada for better health care.
How about you?